If you suffer from dental problems, such as gum disease, tooth decay, and cavities, it can have an impact on how you eat and speak, can cause pain and bad breath. But what you may not realise, is that poor dental hygiene has also been linked to your overall health and wellbeing and can cause problems other than just an unpleasant mouth or smile.
Research shows that tooth decay and gum disease can also affect other parts of your body. This includes your heart, causing potential heart disease, there are links to diabetes, and suffering from a stroke, as well as chronic inflammation, such as arthritis. Maintaining good dental hygiene is so important because it can reduce oral disease and dental issues as well as reducing the risks of problems in your body.
According to an article from Colgate Professional “your mouth is a window into what’s going on in the rest of your body, often serving as a helpful vantage point for detecting the early signs and symptoms of systemic disease.” Such conditions, like AIDS or diabetes, for example, are often initially detected due to oral problems or lesions in the mouth.
Visits to your dental hygienist can help maintain a healthy mouth and smile and you can book an appointment at The Edge Dental in Alderley Edge now. At your appointment, you can expect a scale and polish from our professional hygienists. This deep clean of the teeth removes any stubborn tartar form all the hard to reach places. This is then followed by a polish, which leaves your teeth feeling smooth and looking clean and bright.
Our dentists will also advise you on how to care for your teeth at home. They can show you how to use instruments, such as interdental brushes, and give you cleaning and flossing tips so you can carry on with the good work from the comfort of your own home.
We know for some people, getting out to see their dentist or hygienist seems quite a daunting prospect under the current restrictions, and we understand that. Make an appointment when you feel comfortable to see us and, in the meantime, we can share some home dental hygiene top tips!
Top Tips for Great Oral Hygiene
- Brush twice daily using a fluoride toothpaste
- Brush in small circular movements towards your gum line
- Brush when you wake up and just before you go to bed
- Allow at least 2 minutes for brushing
- Visualise your mouth in 4 separate sections and brush for 30 seconds each
- Gently brush your tongue – plaque can also build up there
- Floss your teeth daily – you can use dental floss, tape, or interdental brushes
- Flossing eliminates food debris, stimulates gums, reduces plaque, and lowers inflammation
- Use mouthwash – this can reduce the acidity in your mouth and can help with hard to reach places
- Reduce sugary food and drinks – the sugar converts to acid and attacks the enamel on your teeth
- Drink plenty of water – not only is it good for your oral health, washing away sticky residues and acids, but it’s great for your body
- Eat crunchy vegetables and fruit – they contain fibre and are good for your teeth
- Reduce your alcohol intake
- Try to stop smoking
Here at The Edge Dental, we operate a family-friendly practice. We have extended our opening hours so you can make an appointment at your convenience. We are open seven days a week and provide you with the best quality care that you would expect.
Are you ready for a happy, healthy smile? Complete this form and one of our friendly team will contact you. Or you can call the practice on 01625 599 001.